Special rules called Work Incentives can help people who have SSI or SSDI to work and have more money and the health insurance they need. These Work Incentives can help you to try out working without losing benefits right away. There is hope! You can have more money to spend by working and keeping some benefits than by not working. And by working, you can meet new people, learn new skills, and improve your mental health. Working works!
How do I use the Work Incentives?
1. Know the Basics about how working affects benefits – see the Fact Sheets and Tip Sheets.
Fact Sheets for basic information:
- Which Social Security Benefits Do I Have?
- How Work Affects SSI
- How Work Affects SSDI
- Frequently Asked Questions
Tip Sheets for what to do when using the work incentives:
- Tips for Managing Social Security Benefits When Working
- Tips for Managing Health Insurance When Working
- Tips for Preventing an Overpayment
2. Ask the Experts for help about your personal situation – contact one of the Resources listed to get the right help for your personal finances, resources, and goals.
3. Choose What to Do based on the information, advice from the experts, and what is best for you.
4. Use the Work Incentives to achieve your financial goals when you have Social Security disability and health insurance benefits and choose to work.