Partial Hospitalization

Partial hospitalization services (“partial”) are voluntary mental health services for children and teenagers who have a serious emotional and/or behavioral disorder. A partial program may be recommended to prevent your child from needing a psychiatric hospital stay or treatment in a residential facility.

A partial program provides a number of therapeutic services. Other mental health treatment services are not usually needed when a child goes to a partial program. A child typically attends a partial program on a full-time basis but does not stay overnight. Some partial programs operate after school. Other partial programs, called school-based partial programs, operate during the school day. Children in school-based partial programs attend special education classes and get mental health services. School districts work closely with the families of children in these programs.

What services does a partial program provide?

  • Individual and group therapy.
  • Family therapy.
  • Psychiatric services, which may include the use of medication.
  • Behavior management.
  • Coordination with school districts to make sure your child’s school needs are met.
  • Help getting other supportive services that would be helpful to your child and family.
  • Planning for services your child may need when partial is no longer needed.

How can you help your child be successful with treatment in the partial program?

  • Be active in your child’s treatment. Your input will help your treatment team better understand your child.
  • Do your best to follow the plan that you and your treatment team develop. Use this plan at home to help your child learn ways to cope and get along with others.
  • Talk with your treatment team about what is working with your child’s treatment. Tell them if your child is not getting better so changes can be made.

How to get Partial Hospitalization Services for your child

If you think your child may need the support of a partial program, talk to your current behavioral health provider or your child’s case manager — or call us.

If you are not satisfied with the services your child receives, you can talk to your provider about your concerns. If you are not satisfied with your provider’s response, you can call Community Care. You are free to choose the provider that you want to work with you and your child. For information about available service providers, call us for help.